Slideshow

GANGLAND NEWS

GANGLAND SLAYINGS

July 05, 2011

Boyfriend's anguish over Emily's death

The boyfriend of a New Zealand teenager who died mysteriously in the United Kingdom has spoken publicly for the first time, saying it was "disgusting" that he became a suspect in her death.

Emily Longley, 17, died at boyfriend Elliot Turner's Bournemouth home in May. How, though, remains unclear.

"I don't know. All of us don't know how she died," Turner said.


Love of his life ... Elliot Turner with Emily Longley.
"It is weird. God works in mysterious ways."

Detectives initially thought drugs were to blame, but toxicology results ruled that out. Police are still investigating and Turner was arrested, but not charged.

Dorset police said they had extended Turner's bail "to grant detectives the time necessary in order to fully investigate all relevant lines of inquiry".

Turner, 19, said he had been "living in a nightmare" since the death of his girlfriend, from Auckland.

"I find it actually disgusting and hurtful the police arrested me," Turner said. "I knew more about that girl, her secrets, her worries than anyone else and I ... sit here and think, not only has the girl I loved so much passed away, I was under suspicion, which I could not believe.

"I'm still here at my house missing Emily more than anyone."

While no funeral has been held for Longley - her body is still with police - a service was held in England which her New Zealand-based parents attended. Turner could not go.

"My bail conditions prevented me from attending the memorial so I never got to say goodbye to the person I loved more than anyone."

Turner said he did not provide his girlfriend drugs on the night she died.

"The toxicology report was negative, I did not give her any drugs and the post-mortem was inconclusive."

Turner said it was difficult dealing with the media attention when Longley died. Turner said people on Facebook accused him of being involved in gangs and drug dealing.

"I was privately educated from a respectful family of jewellers and silversmiths not a gangster.

"Imagine being in my shoes, it's like I'm living in a nightmare and so many ridiculous rumours were spread. Some people accused me of being a gangster ... a big-time drug dealer, which was a pack of lies."

It was reported that Turner and Longley, known to friends as "Barbie", had a whirlwind on-and-off relationship. Turner painted a picture of a perfect love.

"We truly had so many amazing memories and romantic times I will never forget.

"Many weekends away, going out for dinner three times a week, clubbing twice a week and I'd speak to her every day for three hours on the phone ... we just clicked when we met."

The pair "were very similar".

"I saw a part of Emily no one else saw. A cute girl who realised she did not have to put on a facade in front of me.

"I never judged her and she could be completely herself."

Turner said he had sought help for depression since Longley's death.

"I can't stop thinking about her.

"It doesn't seem real. I still have the mini love notes and letters I keep in my wallet and read them every day."

 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More